How to Make Oatmeal From Scratch
It is much better to store oat groats than it is to store rolled oats for long term food storage. Rolled oats only last for about 2-3 years whereas groats store for up to 25 years and maintain most of their nutritional value for that time!
Please enjoy this delicious recipe for homemade oatmeal from your food storage!
Dehydrated milk (*Remember dehydrated milk tastes much better if it has been refrigerated!)
Dehydrated apple pieces
Remember that you’ll need a grain roller to roll out the oat groats and a can opener!
- Pour 1/3 Cup Oat groats into hopper on top of the grain roller.
- Turn the handle until all the grains are in the bottom dish.
- Boil about 2 cups of water.
- Remove bottom dish from the grain roller and pour the freshly rolled oats into the boiling water.
- Stir. Stir in 1/4 Cup of dehydrated apple pieces. Stir. When the oatmeal looks soft and most of the water has boiled out remove pot from burner.
- Pour homemade oatmeal into a bowl.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top.
- Sprinkle about 1 Tbls. on top.
- Pour about 1/3 Cup milk over top.