Sprouting is a great way to have healthy, home-grown, nutrient packed food storage all year round!
Just six of the health benefits of eating sprouts are:
1. Rich in essential nutrients – Some of the vitamins found in sprouts are Vitamins A, C, B1, B6, and K. Sprouts are rich in minerals like Iron, Phosphorous, Magnesium, Potassium, and Calcium. They also have dietary fiber, Folate, and Omega-3 fatty acids. (Sounds kind of like I’m reading the back of a hefty vitamin supplement pill bottle doesn’t it?) AND fun fact: Most beans increase in Vitamin A by eight times after being sprouted!
2. Excellent source of enzymes – Enzymes keep our body healthy. In the cooking process you can loose many essential enzymes in foods. Eating raw fruits and vegetables – like sprouts – are a great way to get more power packed enzymes.
3. High in protein – Sprouts are a great way to get your protiens without having to deal with the fat, cholesterol, and calories that usually come with animal protiens.
4. Easy to digest – Because of their high amounts of enzymes, sprouts are very easily digested.
5. Good for weight loss – High in fiber and low in calories!
6. Can go on or in almost any other food, or are good to just pop in your mouth and eat!
To show you how fun and simple sprouting can be I started from the very beginning and logged my progress along the way! Check it out!
This what it looked like when I opened it. Complete with instructions. As you can see the tray has holes in the bottom and detachable lids on both the top and bottom. The bottom tray allows the sprouts to drain and receive oxygen. There is a divider in the middle so you can sprout both types of seeds/beans at the same time, or take out the divider to sprout more of one kind.
I chose to try both bottles of sprouting mixes.
Soak 2 tsp of the Alfa-Plus-Mix and 1/4 cup of the Pro-Vita-Mix in water for 10-12 hours.
(Day 1) Pour seeds evenly into trays.
(Day 2) Rinse seeds thoroughly 2 times a day with warm water. Drain excess water. I kept mine on the kitchen counter. (They grow best between 75-80 degrees)
(Day 4) Can you believe how quickly those grew?! I was amazed!
The Pro-Vita-Mix was ready to eat by day 3, and the Alfa-Plus-Mix was ready by day 4! Once they are sprouted keep them in the refrigerator to slow down the growing process.
The Pro Vita Mix tasted like fresh snap peas! And the Alfa-Plus-Mix tasted like alfalfa sprouts!
My winter garden in the kitchen was a hit! I can’t wait to do it again. What a great way to have healthy, home-grown, nutrient packed food storage all year round!