Tomatoes are a staple in most gardens. Usually you have so many that you can’t use them fast enough!
Tomatoes have always been used as a side on sandwiches, salads, in soups etc. It’s time for tomatoes to step up and take their rightful place as the main dish!
Are you ready for the most scrumptious open faced tomato sandwich you have ever tasted? I made up a simple recipe using fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden! Here you have it! Enjoy!
Garlic Parmesan french bread
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Slice french bread about 1 inch thick and spread them out onto a cookie sheet.
- Spread with as much or as little cream cheese as you would like.
- Gently wash then thinly slice fresh tomatoes and place 2 or more on top of cream cheese.
- Gently wash fresh basil then lay out a few leaves on top of the tomatoes.
- Pile a handful of mozzarella cheese on top of basil.
- Moving your hand back and forth lightly pour olive oil on top of sandwich.
- Place in oven and bake until cheese is melted!
I used other fresh foods that I either got out of the garden or that I had prepared previously for my side dishes with this meal. They were absolutely delicious and hit around the table! (That’s saying a lot because I have a 3 year old that won’t eat anything called “dinner.” Even he ate this!)
I cut up fresh cucumber out of the garden and place them on the plate next to some carrots that I already had in the fridge and sprinkled them with salt and pepper. Then I made a fruit cocktail with green grapes, leftover blueberries from making fresh peach and blueberry cobbler the other night, and combined them with some strawberries that I had sliced and frozen for food storage!
This dinner was so delicious! We all loved it and I hope you do to! Be sure to tell me what you think! If you make modifications I would love to know what they are!
What are other things you do with fresh tomatoes from your garden?
If you found this to be helpful and fun please share our blog with your friends and family. Also, be sure to “like” us on facebook!